About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic and capable climate scientist to quantify climate change-related risks and physical impacts from present and future extreme weather. You'll be part of Climate X's superstar, interdisciplinary science team, led by an inspiring Geospatial Modelling Lead. We apply cutting edge, peer-reviewed science to help prevent the worst impacts of climate change.
Our geospatial core combines climate projections, remote sensing observations, physical modelling, machine learning and other risk data to project frequency and severity of climate physical risks such as floods, subsidence, storms, droughts, etc.
Application deadline 25th March. Outstanding applicants will be invited to interview as soon as or shortly after applications are received. We aim to have the successful candidate in position between early April to early May.
The impact you’ll own
- Development, modelling and continuous innovation of solutions related to extreme weather and other climate impacts
- Identification and standardisation of observational and model data required for development
- Testing, validation and benchmarking of the results
- Documentation of climate modelling activity
- Participation in product demos with enterprise-grade clients
- Research on climate-related hazards and development of innovative methods
What you bring
- Relevant experience in analysing, interrogating and interpreting climate model outputs
- Experience using historical weather and climate observations to validate models, and understand present and future trends
- Enthusiasm for interdisciplinary research and turning science outputs into actionable information
- A background in physical science, mathematics or stats at a PhD-equivalent level
- Experience leveraging scientific computing with Python, ideally in a cloud or distributed computing environment
- Awareness of emerging climate research trends and technologies
- Ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Passion, energy and wit
What makes you stand out
- A PhD or equivalent experience in areas related to climate science, (astro)physics, modelling physical systems, computational physics, climate change impacts
- Previous experience with climate change-related extreme weather or climate attribution-style studies
- Understanding of the current climate change space and interest in future trends
- Recognised accomplishments in the world of climate analytics
What you get
£45-£50k annual salary (DOE)
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We'll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Pensions & Perks
Net-zero (green) pension with birthday treats: lay-in and spa treatment
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
25 holiday days (+8 Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangement - work the hours you want, work from wherever you want to balance your own workload with life’s priorities.
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and continuous development with £1.5k to spend on your personal training. You'll benefit from a dedicated budget for tech team to attend and represent Climate X at conferences and events.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate tech company set to revolutionise a new breed of climate adaptation software by changing the way the world manages assets, property and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to build a solution to allow users, from individuals with one property or businesses with millions of assets, to look at future climate pathways. This will clearly show;
- how their property/assets could be damaged by severe weather events and
- what that damage might do to the asset valuations.
Climate X will save customers millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the world’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We feel very strongly about diversity, with founders and existing team members coming from a variety of backgrounds. We’re not just building a team but a place of innovation, where problem solving and fun coexist, to address the biggest challenge our society is facing today.