Full-time, to start ASAP.
Based in London with some scope for remote working part of the time.
We're looking for the best talent and will sponsor visas for the right person.
Closed for Applications.
Database Developer (PostgreSQL, SQL)
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic and capable PostgreSQL/SQL Database Developer, responsible for developing the application and database code to store, manipulate and interact with very large geospatial datasets. The successful candidate will work with product owners, back-end developers, front-end developers, and data analysts, as needed.
This is a central role in our development team, best described as trailblazing and super rewarding – and you would report directly to Climate X’s Engineering Lead.
The impact you’ll own
- Implement and maintain database code in the form of stored procedures, scripts, queries, views, triggers, etc.
- Work closely with the Engineering Lead to implement effective and maintainable database schema designs, forming an architectural foundation to prepare for the further expansion of data.
- Work with Product and Business Development teams to solve spatial data issues for internal and external customers and address spatial data-related challenges.
- Ensure the efficiency of database code, and the integrity of data structures.
- Work with product managers to ensure database code meets security, scalability, and robustness requirements.
- Build, enhance, and support custom applications to automate procedures and processing tasks.
- Identify problems associated with GIS programs, scripts, tools, procedures, systems, and applications.
What you bring
- 3+ years working as a database developer working with PostgreSQL.
- Expert-level knowledge of SQL, PL/pgSQL, including stored procedures, functions, triggers, and views.
- Knowledge of JSON and PostgreSQL support for JSON.
- Ability to efficiently write database code without compromising data quality, privacy, or security.
- Knowledge of database design principles, query optimization, index management, integrity checks, statistics, and isolation levels.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies, work independently, and quickly turnaround maps, application prototypes or other deliverables.
- Demonstrated AWS/Cloud-based application development
- Knowledge and use of Git version control with repositories like GitLab
What makes you stand out
- Ability to work with ArcGIS and/or QGIS and the GDAL/OGR library.
- Proven management of GIS data within at least two of the following: Oracle, SQL Server, and/or PostgreSQL database environments.
- Past use of environmental data, and evidence of developing applications for visualisation, analysis, and presentation of environmental data.
- Experience with NoSQL databases: especially Graph and Columnar-storage.
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively. This includes the ability to plan projects, meet objectives, develop contingencies, and produce schedules
- Passion, energy, and wit – especially when handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills – and the ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience
What you get
£55-£65k annual salary (DOE)
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We'll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Pensions & Perks
We offer a flexible benefits package aligned to modern ways of working that includes a benefits allowance, corporate discounts and shared parental leave arrangements.
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
25 holiday days (+ Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangement - work the hours you want to balance your own workload with life’s priorities. We're also partnered with Oliva.Health for uncapped mental healthcare support
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and continuous development with £1.5k to spend on your personal training. You'll benefit from a dedicated budget for tech team to attend and represent Climate X at conferences and events.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate tech company set to revolutionise a new vertical of climate adaptation software by changing the way the world manages assets, property and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights on how their property will be impacted by our changing climate. From individuals with one property, to businesses with millions of assets; our platform clearly displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios, and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will save customers millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We feel very strongly about diversity with founders and existing team members coming from a variety of backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where brains and fun coexist to address the biggest challenge our society is facing now.