Full-time, to start ASAP.
Based in London with scope for WFH a few days per week.
Closed for applications.
DevOps Engineer (AWS, On Premises)
About the role
We are seeking a passionate and capable DevOps Engineer with a good knowledge of AWS and On-Premises best practices who can improve the overall quality of product build, deployments, and monitoring and alerting – with an emphasis on the resilience, stability, scalability, and security of our product delivery.
You'll work with product owners, back-end developers, front-end developers, and data analysts.
As a DevOps Engineer, you'll play a central role in our development team, best described as trailblazing and super rewarding – and you would report directly to Climate X's Engineering Lead.
The impact you’ll own
- Provisioning, configuring, and maintaining new and existing platform infrastructure and tools for Development, Staging, and Production environments.
- Monitoring, analysing and resolving problems on existing infrastructure and systems.
- Applying secure-by-design principles and conforming with security guidelines and guardrails.
- Creating metrics for monitoring scalability and stability – and applying them as part of broader implementation.
- Managing and running production and non-production Cloud platforms with limited downtime / defined RPO and RTO metrics for customers and colleagues.
- Using a working knowledge of automation design and infrastructure to determine what to automate and perform large-scale sustainable, intelligent automation in a cross-functional environment.
- Reviewing and testing infrastructure components for compatibility and integration processes needed to connect with other systems and/or devices.
What you bring
- Expertise in DevOps methodologies and the tools which support them, e.g. Kubernetes and/or Docker, Ansible, Terraform/ CloudFormation.
- Comprehensive understanding of containerisation and virtualisation orchestration using Docker, and Docker Compose / Kubernetes (or similar).
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines across several platforms.
- Competence with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Have a broad range of Cloud services experience with a deeper knowledge of at least one of the following: AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform
- Knowledge and use of Git version control with repositories like GitLab
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools such as Terraform
- In-depth knowledge of UNIX-based systems/programs on the command line (Linux, BSD, etc.)
What makes you stand out
- Proven scripting/development experience (Python, Golang, Java, C#, JS).
- Experience building and running Continuous Integration pipelines for both on-premise and cloud-based architectures.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience with the following technologies:
- Databases (SQL and/or NoSQL) – knowledge of PostgreSQL is a plus
- Networking (TCP/IP, subnetting/VLANs, firewalling and basic routing principles).
- Message Queues (e.g. RabbitMQ, Kafka, SQS).
- Knowledge of cloud security best practices to protect data from intrusion, loss, and corruption.
- Understanding of open-source solutions that enable the implementation of highly distributed, scalable, durable, and performant platforms such as Kafka and Cassandra.
- Well-versed and experienced with open-source tools commonly used to build continuous integration/delivery solutions, such as Git, Maven, Selenium, Gradle, YUM, and Jenkins.
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively. This includes the ability to plan projects, meet objectives, develop contingencies, and produce schedules.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills – and the ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience.
We understand that DevOps is a very broad set of disciplines and no one person can be an expert in all aspects. If you have the right technical background, a willingness to be part of an ambitious team and are willing to develop yourself then we’re keen to hear from you!
What you get
£65k - £75k
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We'll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
25 holiday days (+ Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangement - work the hours you want to balance your own workload with life’s priorities. We're also partnered with Oliva.Health for uncapped mental healthcare support
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and continuous development with £1.5k to spend on your personal training. You'll benefit from a dedicated budget for tech team to attend and represent Climate X at conferences and events.
Pensions & Perks
We offer a flexible benefits package aligned to modern ways of working that includes a benefits allowance, a green pension, corporate discounts and shared parental leave arrangements.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate adaptation data company set to revolutionise how the world manages assets, property, and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights into how our changing climate will impact their property. From individuals with one property to businesses with millions of assets, our platform displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will help customers save millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We advocate diversity with our founders, team, and investors from various backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where problem-solving and fun coexist to address the most significant challenge our society is facing now.
Applying for this role – if in doubt, do it!
We've tried to make the hiring process as easy and transparent as possible. That's because we want to respect your time and help you succeed if you apply.
If you don't tick every box in the job description or think there are different ways to shine that our job ad doesn't quite capture, it's okay! We encourage you to apply anyway instead of not applying at all!
If there are any adjustments, we can make to help make the process easier for you, for example, if you have a disability or a different way of working that we should be aware of – please let us know, and we'll do our best to help.
If you want to build something that matters to the world and are ready to join our team on this journey, apply now!