Full-time, to start ASAP.
Based in London with scope for WFH a few days per week.
Open for applications.
Director of Climate Risk Modelling and R&D
About the role
You’ll be tasked to lead the development of the second-generation climate impact, physical hazard model suite forming the core of the ever-expanding Climate X product offering. The solution core is based on our remote sensing-based Digital Twin of the Earth, combined with CMIP5 and CMIP6 climate projections, historical observations and other data.
Our combined modelling approach produces quantitative projections for the frequency, probability and severity of climate-related physical risks across a library of hazards such as floods, subsidence, storms, droughts, etc.
The impact you’ll own
- Develop and implement climate risk modelling tools and methodologies.
- Manage and lead a team of climate scientists to conduct research and develop new models.
- Collaborate with external partners and stakeholders to advance the company's research and development efforts.
- Analyze and interpret climate data to support risk assessments and provide recommendations to clients.
- Contribute to the development of the company's overall strategy and business objectives.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in climate science and modelling techniques.
What you bring
- PhD in physics, environment or related subjects.
- Strong experience in climate modelling and risk assessment.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to interpret complex data.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Industry experience in financial services, real estate or insurance
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and teams.
- Passionate about climate change and its impact on the global economy.
What makes you stand out
- Previous experience in modelling the physical impacts of climate change, such as floods, subsidence, droughts, etc., or changes in impactful weather extremes.
- Extensive understanding of the current climate change space and interest in future trends.
- Recognised accomplishments in the world of geospatial analytics.
- Passion, energy and wit.
What you get
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We'll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
25 holiday days (+ Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangements to work from home a few days a week. We're also partnered with Oliva.Health for uncapped mental healthcare support
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and a dedicated budget towards continuous development and training.
Pensions & Perks
We offer a flexible benefits package aligned to modern ways of working that includes a benefits allowance, a green pension, corporate discounts and shared parental leave arrangements.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate adaptation data company set to revolutionise how the world manages assets, property, and infrastructure.
The world is changing and it’s changing fast. Even if our greatest carbon reduction aspirations are realised, we’re still going to see the impacts of climate change with more frequent and severe extreme weather events. Events like floods, heatwaves, wildfires, droughts, and storms will impact us all in different ways. You’ve probably experienced some of those effects first-hand already, or have seen stories in the news.
The better we can anticipate them, the more prepared we’ll be. This side of the climate change agenda is often called climate adaptation or climate resilience. And that’s what we focus our efforts on here at Climate X.
Climate change impacts everything that exists on this planet, no matter how big or how small. Through our products we’re able to help governments, financial institutions and businesses around the world understand what that means for them - in unprecedented detail. The positive impact we can have will not only be global but also, uniquely, multi-generational.
We really care about diversity and inclusion. Solving a global problem means representing as many voices from as many backgrounds, communities, and beliefs as we can within our own company.
That should happen across all parts of the business and across all levels of seniority. Our internal survey showed 100% of the team felt they were empowered to bring their true selves to work – we’re extremely proud of that.
No matter your background, where you’re from, what you look like, who you love, or how you identify – as long as you share our values, believe in our vision for the future and have humility, you’ll be welcomed and respected!
Applying for this role – if in doubt, do it!
We've tried to make the hiring process as easy and transparent as possible. That's because we want to respect your time and help you succeed if you apply.
If you don't tick every box in the job description or think there are different ways to shine that our job ad doesn't quite capture, it's okay! We encourage you to apply anyway instead of not applying at all!
If there are any adjustments, we can make to help make the process easier for you, for example, if you have a disability or a different way of working that we should be aware of – please let us know, and we'll do our best to help.
If you want to build something that matters to the world and are ready to join our team on this journey, apply now!