Full-time, to start ASAP.
Based in London.
About the role
We combine observation data and model outputs at both local and global scales to project physical impacts of climate change, such as floods, subsidence, storms, droughts, etc.
We’re seeking an enthusiastic and capable Physical Scientist with expertise in flood-related modelling to help us understand climate impacts across multiple spatial scales.
You’ll help lead the development of new flood modelling techniques and derive new insights into climate impacts, together with a superstar interdisciplinary team.
The impact you’ll own
- Employ physical and statistical flood modelling techniques to build scalable and detailed flood hazard models for multiple countries around the world
- Identification and standardisation of data required for development
- Testing, validation and benchmarking of the results
- Documentation of all modelling activity, including writing peer-reviewed journal papers when appropriate
- Collaboration with climate modelling team members to develop comprehensive projections of future climate change flood risks
- Understanding of other model approaches within the core geospatial solution including storms, subsidence, and other climate physical risks
- Participation in product demos with enterprise-grade clients and presenting your work at international scientific conferences
What you bring
- PhD or equivalent experience in hydrology, flood risk, statistical analysis, and remote sensing
- Experience leveraging scientific computing techniques with Python, ideally in a cloud environment
- Awareness of emerging trends in hydrological modelling and technologies
- Ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively across an interdisciplinary team
- Passion, energy, and wit
What makes you stand out
- PhD or equivalent experience in hydrological or hydraulic modelling and climate change impacts
- Previous experience with physically based flood modelling, using computational models such as LisFlood FP
- Expertise in coastal or urban flooding
- Understanding of remote sensing and data science methods for dealing with large datasets, or incomplete data
- Understanding of the current climate change space and interest in future trends
- Experience working in an industry-based science role or similar environment
- Recognised accomplishments in the world of geospatial analytics
What you get
£45k - £50k
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We'll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
25 holiday days (+ Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangement - work the hours you want to balance your own workload with life’s priorities. We're also partnered with Oliva.Health for uncapped mental healthcare support
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and continuous development with £1.5k to spend on your personal training. You'll benefit from a dedicated budget for tech team to attend and represent Climate X at conferences and events.
Pensions & Perks
We offer a flexible benefits package aligned to modern ways of working that includes a benefits allowance, a green pension, corporate discounts and shared parental leave arrangements.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate adaptation data company set to revolutionise how the world manages assets, property, and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights into how our changing climate will impact their property. From individuals with one property to businesses with millions of assets, our platform displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will help customers save millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We advocate diversity with our founders, team, and investors from various backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where problem-solving and fun coexist to address the most significant challenge our society is facing now.
Applying for this role – if in doubt, do it!
We've tried to make the hiring process as easy and transparent as possible. That's because we want to respect your time and help you succeed if you decide to apply.
If you don't tick every box in the job description or think there are different ways to shine that our job ad doesn't quite capture, it's okay! We encourage you to apply anyway instead of not applying at all!
If there are any adjustments, we can make to help make the process easier for you, for example, if you have a disability or a different way of working that we should be aware of – please let us know, and we'll do our best to help.
If you want to build something that matters for the world and are ready to join our team on this journey, apply now!
Any questions? Don't hesitate to get in touch with us by emailing [email protected]