Full-time, to start ASAP.
Based in London with scope for WFH a few days per week.
Open for applications.
Full Stack Engineer – Geospatial Applications/Climate Technology
About the role
We are seeking a passionate and capable full-stack engineer to work with us on our climate technology platform, with prior geospatial experience considered a bonus.
The successful candidate will support the development of web, frontend, middleware, and backend applications using a range of languages and frameworks. The successful candidate will be working across Vue.js/REACT, Python, PostgreSQL / PostGIS and NoSQL databases and dabbling in technologies offered by Amazon Web Services infrastructure. You would report directly to our inspiring Engineering Lead.
In addition to supporting feature requests and bug fixes, this position will require the successful candidate to support AWS configuration, deployment and security hardening.
The impact you’ll own
- Develop and maintain highly reliable web (application and API) services and UI’s that enable users to interact with Climate X’s data, models and systems.
- Implement sophisticated industry-grade quantitative models, turning algorithms from proprietary research papers into code that’s scalable, robust and explainable.
- Build and iterate enterprise-level, server-side frameworks to facilitate geospatial data processing, working with Climate X’s data engineers to ensure smooth interoperability in data flow between application components.
- Mastering client-side frameworks to deliver real-time insights, with speed and reliability, to customers at distributed endpoints.
What you bring
- Time spent working in a highly Agile environment.
- A skillset aligned with our Tech Stack with a willingness to pick up the rest:
- Time spent on React and/or Vue.js projects with long-term maintainability and reliable deployment cycles (i.e. well-built and tested).
- Experience in Scalable RESTful API development using the most recent Python and/or Node features.
- Demonstrated AWS / Cloud-based application development.
- Strong understanding of Python and both its numerical libraries and application frameworks – for rapid prototyping to enterprise deployment.
- Implementations of geospatial-optimised SQL databases (RDBMS for tabular data), like PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge and use of Git version control with repositories like GitLab.
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively. This includes the ability to plan projects, meet objectives, develop contingencies, and produce schedules.
- Ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Familiarity with C ++ / Java / Scala: for building enterprise-grade software modules.
- Intermediate understanding of NoSQL databases (for semi-structured or non-tabular data), like MongoDB.
- Experience leveraging scientific computing/machine learning with Python or R in a cloud environment.
- Commercial experience with containerised tools like Docker / Docker Compose / Kubernetes, etc.
What makes you stand out
- Ability to work with ArcGIS and/or QGIS and the GDAL/OGR library.
- Proven management of GIS data within at least two of the following: Oracle, SQL Server, and/or PostgreSQL database environments.
- Past use of environmental data, and evidence of developing applications for visualization, analysis, and presentation of environmental data.
- Experience with NoSQL databases: especially Graph and columnar storage.
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively. This includes the ability to plan projects, meet objectives, develop contingencies, and produce schedules
- Passion, energy, and wit – especially when handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills – and the ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience
What you get
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We'll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
25 holiday days (+ Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangement - work the hours you want to balance your own workload with life’s priorities. We're also partnered with Oliva.Health for uncapped mental healthcare support
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and continuous development with £1.5k to spend on your personal training. You'll benefit from a dedicated budget for tech team to attend and represent Climate X at conferences and events.
Pensions & Perks
We offer a flexible benefits package aligned to modern ways of working that includes a benefits allowance, a green pension, corporate discounts and shared parental leave arrangements.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate adaptation data company set to revolutionise how the world manages assets, property, and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights into how our changing climate will impact their property. From individuals with one property to businesses with millions of assets, our platform displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will help customers save millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We advocate diversity with our founders, team, and investors from various backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where problem-solving and fun coexist to address the most significant challenge our society is facing now.
Applying for this role – if in doubt, do it!
We've tried to make the hiring process as easy and transparent as possible. That's because we want to respect your time and help you succeed if you apply.
If you don't tick every box in the job description or think there are different ways to shine that our job ad doesn't quite capture, it's okay! We encourage you to apply anyway instead of not applying at all!
If there are any adjustments, we can make to help make the process easier for you, for example, if you have a disability or a different way of working that we should be aware of – please let us know, and we'll do our best to help.
If you want to build something that matters to the world and are ready to join our team on this journey, apply now!