6 months in London, then remote
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic and capable geospatial modeller to quantify climate change-related risks from shifting earth. You’ll support the development of Climate X's geospatial core, together with a superstar team led by an inspiring Geospatial Modelling Lead.
The solution core will be fed with climate projections, remote sensing historical observations and other risk data to model frequency and severity of climate physical risks such as floods, subsidence, storms, droughts etc.
The impact you’ll own
- Development, modelling and continuous innovation of the core geospatial solution
- Identification and standardisation of observational and modelling data required for development
- Testing, validation and benchmarking of the results
- Documentation of all modelling activity
- Participation in product demos with enterprise-grade clients
- Research on climate-related hazards and development of innovative methods
Alfie, Chief Mischief Officer
What you bring
- Relevant experience in geospatial modelling, geospatial mapping or remote sensing
- Experience leveraging scientific computing/machine learning with Python, R, Matplotlib and/or MATLAB in a cloud environment
- Awareness of emerging geospatial research trends and technologies
- Ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Passion, energy and wit
What makes you stand out
- A PhD or equivalent experience in areas related to climate science, geophysics, GIS or climate change impacts
- Previous experience of modelling climate-related physical risks such as flooding, drought, storms, wildfire, extreme heat/cold, subsidence, etc.
- Experience with remote sensing, Earth observation, GIS or climate modelling
- Understanding of the current climate change space and interest in future trends
- Recognised accomplishments in the world of geospatial analytics
What you get
£45k-£50k annual salary
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Pensions & Perks
We offer a flexible benefits package aligned to modern ways of working that includes a benefits allowance, corporate discounts and shared parental leave arrangements.
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
22 holiday days (+ Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangement - work the hours you want, work from wherever you want to balance your own workload with life’s priorities.
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and continuous development.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate tech company set to revolutionise a new vertical of climate adaptation software by changing the way the world manages assets, property and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights on how their property will be impacted by our changing climate. From individuals with one property, to businesses with millions of assets; our platform clearly displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios, and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will save customers millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
Last but not least, we feel very strongly about diversity with founders and existing team members coming from a variety of backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where brains and fun coexist to address the biggest challenge our society is facing now.