3-month internship, based in London.
Remuneration: London Living Wage (£11.05 per hour).
Internship: Climate Impacts & Geohazards
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic and capable Earth or ocean scientist, or civil engineer to assess and quantify the risk of coastal erosion under future climate scenarios. The intern will develop methods and proof-of-concept style approaches to assess the risk of long-term coastal erosion and sea-level rise on selected coastlines around the globe.
You'll be joining Climate X's interdisciplinary science team, working closely with our lead geologist. We are an industry-based research group delivering cutting-edge, peer-reviewed science to help build a society that is resilient to the devastating impacts of climate change.
Our geospatial core combines climate projections, remote sensing, physical modelling, machine learning, and other risk data to assess the susceptibility of geophysical risks such as landslides, subsidence, etc. Whilst the candidate is not expected to already have skills in all these areas, an interest in these areas and some background knowledge will be helpful.
Length of internship: 3 months
Remuneration: London Living Wage (£11.05 per hour)
What you bring
- The intern must be a registered student (either undergraduate or postgraduate) at any university whilst undertaking the internship (the course end date cannot occur before the internship has been completed).
- We are looking for a PhD student with an interest in quantifying climate risk
- Background in Earth or ocean science (or civil engineering) with experience relevant to physical or statistical modelling of coastal processes
- A good understanding of coastal erosion processes and how sediment transport can be modelled, or subject matter knowledge relevant to these areas
- Experience with scientific computing, modelling or data analysis with Python. We work in a cloud computing environment (AWS), experience with this is not vital but would be desirable.
- Ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate tech company set to revolutionise a new vertical of climate adaptation software by changing the way the world manages assets, property and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights on how their property will be impacted by our changing climate. From individuals with one property, to businesses with millions of assets; our platform clearly displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios, and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will save customers millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We feel very strongly about diversity with founders and existing team members coming from a variety of backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where brains and fun coexist to address the biggest challenge our society is facing now.