Full time, to start asap (end of May latest)
Based in London with some scope for remote working part of the time
Apply before 15th April 2022
Remote Sensing & Data Scientist
About the role
We’re seeking an enthusiastic and capable physical scientist with a passion for extracting new scientific insights from big data. We want to combine UK-wide and world-wide data and model outputs to project physical impacts of climate change, such as floods, subsidence, storms, droughts, etc. You’ll be tasked to support the development of Climate X's geospatial core, together with a superstar team led by an inspiring Geospatial Modelling Lead.
Outstanding applicants will be invited to interview as soon as or shortly after applications are received. We aim to have the successful candidate in position asap (end of May latest). Where applicable, we may be able to assist with visa and relocation costs.
The impact you’ll own
- Combining, manipulating and interrogating large datasets to derive new insights on climate change impacts
- Identification and standardisation of observational and model data required for development
- Creating geographically scalable solutions with flexibility to be applied to different locations and fold-in new datasets
- Testing, validation and benchmarking of the results
- Research on climate-related hazards and development of innovative methods
- Documentation of all modelling activity
- Participation in product demos with enterprise grade clients
What you bring
- A PhD or equivalent experience in areas related to Earth observation, remote sensing, (astro)physics, applied stats, computational methods for remote sensing.
- Strong Python programming skills, especially experience in geospatial and/or machine learning (e.g., GDAL, OGR, OSR, geopandas)
- Experience applying scientific computing or machine learning to solve real-world problems, ideally in a distributed computing, cloud computing or hpc environment. Experience working with AWS a bonus.
- Experience of manipulating, processing and combining large datasets. Deriving new information and extracting new insights from these.
- Experience with remote sensing data, satellite data, Earth observation, or computation modelling of physical systems (e.g. climate modelling).
- Ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical audience
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Passion, energy and wit
What you get
£45-£55k annual salary (DOE)
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We'll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Pensions & Perks
Net-zero (green) pension with birthday treats: lay-in and spa treatment
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
25 holiday days (+8 Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangement - work the hours you want, work from wherever you want to balance your own workload with life’s priorities.
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and continuous development with £1.5k to spend on your personal training. You'll benefit from a dedicated budget for tech team to attend and represent Climate X at conferences and events.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate tech company set to revolutionise a new breed of climate adaptation software by changing the way the world manages assets, property and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to build a solution to allow users, from individuals with one property or businesses with millions of assets, to look at future climate pathways. This will clearly show;
- how their property/assets could be damaged by severe weather events and
- what that damage might do to the asset valuations.
Climate X will save customers millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the world’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We feel very strongly about diversity, with founders and existing team members coming from a variety of backgrounds. We’re not just building a team but a place of innovation, where problem solving and fun coexist, to address the biggest challenge our society is facing today.