Full-time, to start ASAP.
Based in London with scope for WFH a few days per week.
Scientific Software Engineer
About the role
We're seeking an enthusiastic and capable scientific software engineer with a passion for physical sciences. We want to combine worldwide data and model outputs in a robust and scalable way to project physical impacts of climate change, such as floods, subsidence, storms, droughts, etc.
You'll be tasked to support the development of Climate X's climate and hazard modelling together with a superstar interdisciplinary team.
The impact you’ll own
- Working with the domain experts in the science team to quantify climate change impacts on a global scale.
- Ensuring the robustness and scalability of scientific code.
- Translating specialist physical models into globally scalable solutions.
- Developing novel science-grade code, libraries and packages to derive new insights into the impacts of climate change.
- Optimising and deploying solutions on cloud and HPC computing systems.
What you bring
- Proven experience and strong programming skills in Python, including numerical libraries such as Pandas, Numpy, and Scikitlearn.
- A similar level of experience with at least one other language (preference for a compiled language).
- Proven ability to write robust, scalable code following best practices in agile software engineering.
- Experience optimising, translating, parallelising, and packaging scientific code
- Experience in developing and deploying custom libraries.
- Ability to understand scientific concepts around climate and hazard modelling and the physical processes involved. Ideally a higher education qualification in a relevant physical science or engineering.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively in interdisciplinary teams containing individuals of different levels of computational expertise.
- Ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience.
What makes you stand out
- A PhD or equivalent experience in an area related to computer science, climate science, Earth observation, remote sensing, (astro)physics, applied stats, or computational methods for physical sciences.
- Experience and strong programming skills in C or C++ or Java.
- Experience with large-scale data and parallel computing tools such as Spark or Dask.
- Experience applying scientific computing or machine learning to solve real-world problems, ideally in a distributed computing, cloud computing or HPC environment. Expertise with AWS a bonus.
- Experience with remote sensing/Earth observation and geospatial data, or computation modelling of physical systems (e.g., climate modelling).
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively.
What you get
£55k - £65k
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We'll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Designed to encourage long-term thinking and behaviours. Being an employee-owned firm will be key to our success.
25 holiday days (+ Bank holidays)
Flexible working arrangement - work the hours you want to balance your own workload with life’s priorities. We're also partnered with Oliva.Health for uncapped mental healthcare support
Your growth is key
In addition to pioneering climate change analytics, you’ll be exposed to the inner workings of an exciting start-up, and continuous development with £1.5k to spend on your personal training. You'll benefit from a dedicated budget for tech team to attend and represent Climate X at conferences and events.
Pensions & Perks
We offer a flexible benefits package aligned to modern ways of working that includes a benefits allowance, a green pension, corporate discounts and shared parental leave arrangements.
You’ll be making a positive impact to the world. We’ll also have two days per year allocated for volunteering time to support a charity or community group and make an impact closer to home.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate adaptation data company set to revolutionise how the world manages assets, property, and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights into how our changing climate will impact their property. From individuals with one property to businesses with millions of assets, our platform displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will help customers save millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We advocate diversity with our founders, team, and investors from various backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where problem-solving and fun coexist to address the most significant challenge our society is facing now.
Applying for this role – if in doubt, do it!
We've tried to make the hiring process as easy and transparent as possible. That's because we want to respect your time and help you succeed if you decide to apply.
If you don't tick every box in the job description or think there are different ways to shine that our job ad doesn't quite capture, it's okay! We encourage you to apply anyway instead of not applying at all!
If there are any adjustments, we can make to help make the process easier for you, for example, if you have a disability or a different way of working that we should be aware of – please let us know, and we'll do our best to help.
If you want to build something that matters for the world and are ready to join our team on this journey, apply now!
Any questions? Don't hesitate to get in touch with us by emailing [email protected]